To Goalies and Goalie Parents.
U10 Small Nets
- Ringette Alberta has approved the use of Smaller nets for use in the U10 and below levels across the province for the 2016/2017 season.
Ensuring all players are given the opportunity to develop a wide range of ringette skills is a primary goal of the LTAD model and Edmonton Ringette. Early specialization (U12 and below) in sport is counter to these principles. It is important that players, parents and coaches are aware that at early stages of athlete development, allowing players to play only one position is detrimental to their development. Coaches are strongly encouraged to base their decisions on this point.
- Given the special circumstance of goalies, the following limits are placed on goalie play. While not fully compliant with Ringette Canada’s LTAD recommendations, Edmonton Ringette has adopted these guidelines to attempt to balance the sometimes competing concerns of teams, players and parents.
- U10 - some form of rotation through the position of goal must occur. A MAXIMUM of 40% (2 out of every 5) of games may be played in goal (inclusive of all league/exhibition and tournament games) by any one player.
- U12B/C - a MAXIMUM of 66% of games may be played by any one goaltender (inclusive of all league/exhibition and tournament games) . The remainder may be played by a rotation of some sort or by another single player. Players wishing to play the position
- U12A - To provide some flexibility given that teams in this level are typically second year players who could be ready for the specialization acceptable in U14, greater than 66% play by one goaltender may be acceptable. This additional play cannot occur at the expense of other part-time goaltenders. I.e. A coach with a declared “full time” goaltender must still play any “part-time” goaltenders on the team.
- U14 - goaltenders can specialize, but can still alternate with other players. Assuming a player has requested to play full time, and no other player wishes to play the position, that player may play 100% of games.
PROCUREMENT OF GOAL EQUIPMENT
Equipment is available at no charge to all goalies. The head coaches will be provided with a full set of equipment at the start of the year. Typically, there will be two sizes